After being together for almost a year, Javis and I had our first baking date on the 6th of June! :) We squeezed as many typical dates as we can before he enlisted! I can’t possibly do a post on all of them because at the rate I am going, it’ll probably be only done next year, haha! Here is the recipe for chewy oatmeal-raisin cookies!
1½ cups (7½ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
16 Tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1½ cups raisins
1. Adjust the oven racks to the low and middle positions and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together in a medium bowl.
3. Either by hand or with an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture with a wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in the oats and raisins.
5. Working with a generous 2 Tablespoons of dough each time, roll the dough into 2-inch balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until the cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through the baking time. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies with a wide metal spatula to a wire rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
Pour the flour into a bowl! :D
We substituted baking power for baking soda and grated nutmeg for powered nutmeg! I heard powered nutmeg is a lot stronger than grated ones but we couldn’t find grated nutmeg!! How does it look like anyway?
Oh yes, salt was added too! CLEVER JAVIS PUT IN ½ A TABLESPOON INSTEAD LOL. I THOUGHT IT WOULD TURN INTO A DISASTER but it didn’t, I SWEAR!
Unsalted butter! :D
Stirred it well until it became this creamy mixture! :)
We added in the two kinds of brown sugar!!! :D I thought brown sugar was for the taste but Javis said it’s for the colour of the cookies! All along, I thought the colour of cookies was from being burnt while baking in the oven, lol. I need to bake more.
Both of us love mixing!!! :)
Add in the eggs :D I LOVE ADDING IN AND MIXING STUFF!!!
Pour in the huge amount of oats!!!
Then raisins! I love raisins :) I suddenly remembered that I fought for this recipe LOL. Javis wanted to make some fig cookies. IT WAS SO HARD!!! :|
Our cute little ball of batter that little did we know…
WOULD GROW AND BE FLATTENED TO SUCH AN ENORMOUS SIZE.
Honestly, I fell in love with the size!!! I’ve always wanted to eat giant cookies! :) I think I’ve had one but I got sick of the taste. BECAUSE THESE COOKIES WERE MADE WITH OUR LOVE, they tasted lovely! Hahahahah!!!! Javis’ mum said they were tasty too! :D
I brought some home to let my mom to try! She said it was bad :x For some reason, she brought 3 to work the next day and fell in love with it :x There was much love for our cookies!!! :D Thank you to all who tasted it!!! :D Especially Vincent Kang!!! He made me feel good about our baking skills! :)
Finally, a bake-out that wasn’t so disastrous with me in it :|
As most of you know, Javis has enlisted on the 14th! :)
Our last date :) I made him wax his hair up because it’s a look I really love. The first day I saw this hairdo was so amazing!!! (Getting a bit annoyed at why WordPress doesn’t have the heart-shape eyes emoticon!!!) I was rotting on my bed (in my cute care bear PJs) reading an 8 Days issue when they interviewed Elvin, Desmond and Romeo because they are Caldecott’s vainest guys! They had their hair up and every thing and they looked so sleek and good looking! (Wasn’t very impressed with Romeo’s facial hair but he had to grow it out for a show!). Javis told me he was outside the door already and when I opened it, my heart skipped a beat!!! HE LOOKED LIKE HE CAME OUT OF MY 8 DAYS MAGAZINE!!!! :D :D :D I fainted into a puddle of goo :) This is just an extra story, hahaha!!!
Our last photo together before he said bye bye for 2 weeks (turned out to be 1 week only because of the haze) :) Bye bye to the soft hair. Mandy and Raj were there too! Thank you guys! I felt so much more comfortable :) My only disappointment there was the twins not hugging goodbye! :( Their mom was like “huggy!!!” and I echoed after her LOL. TWIN HUGS!!!!!! But my dream didn’t happen :(
This is the second week Javis is inside! :) I have a photo of his bald head now but he made me promise not to show anybody because he said his self esteem dropped LOL. BUT IT’S SO CUTE. It reminds me of a lychee and I cannot stop touching it LOL. So smooth and prickly.
Writing a post after midnight because there is no work tomorrow :) I sort of forgot how nice it’ll be to sleep in.
Have a good night, everyone :)